|J. Robinson Wheeler's Résumé|
J. Robinson Wheeler
Writer - Artist - Filmmaker
Email: jrw _at_ jrwdigitalmedia.com
Self-employed creative professional; doing business as JRW Digital Media (1994-present).
- Freelance consultant, operating in the fields of comics, games, and film audio/video.
- Continuous flow of personal creative projects that I conceive, plan, execute, revise, finish, and deliver on a self-imposed schedule, in a variety of media and styles.
Skills and Experience
Game Design: Interactive Fiction (modern text adventure games)
- 16 released games, 13 Xyzzy Awards nominations, 5 wins, plus 3rd place in IF Competition 2000. The shareware release of First Things First (2001) was covered by a feature article in the Austin American-Statesman. Published games include:
- The 12:54 to Asgard (2010) - IF Competition 2010
- ASCII and the Argonauts (2003) - Xyzzy Award winner (Best Use of Medium)
- Colours (2001) - IF Competition 2001
- First Things First (2001) - Xyzzy Award winner (Best Puzzles)
- The Tale of the Kissing Bandit (2001) - Xyzzy Award winner (Best PC)
- Centipede (2001) - IF Arcade
- Being Andrew Plotkin (2001) - Xyzzy Award winner (Best Game, Best NPCs)
- Four in One (1998) - IF Competion 1998
- Contributed writing, design and/or programming to the following computer games by others:
- Professional screenwriter.
- Script consultant and editor.
- Script consultant and editor.
- Studied creative writing at Stanford University and screenwriting at USC School of Cinema-Television.
- Freelance manuscript editor and proofreader, including the popular science book Cosmic Catastrophes and the upcoming IF Theory.
- Freelance illustrator, traditional pen and ink as well as digital art.
- Artist, writer, editor, and publisher for the web comic The Q Man, a serial graphic novel.
- Artist for the web comic ACX: Academy X, a 300-page graphic novel.
- Conceptual artist for the game Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus.
- Art Director for the movie Sixgun.
- Founding member, Austin Cartooning Circle, 1994-1997
- 32 years experience making movies, from childhood films to professional credits; Super-8, 16mm, video, DV, and HD.
- Professional credits as screenwriter, art director, camera operator, sound consultant, sound recordist, sound designer, film editor, visual effects technician, title designer, and foley artist.
- Highly experienced and fluent in all aspects of cinema production and post-production.
- Produced and directed The Krone Experiment (2005.
- Other specialized skills and experience:
- Video editing (Final Cut Pro), DVD authoring/scripting.
- Videography/cinematography, video camera operation (single and live multicam), lighting design.
- Audio engineering and recording, sound design and editing, audio mixing, music recording and mixing, location sound recording and mixing, foley recording, mix re-recording, ADR recording.
- Visual effects design and animation, effects compositing, model design, greenscreen videography, Flash animation and programming, titles design and rendering.
- Music videos
- "Rejoice" (2007) - Artist: Amit Shoham, Tarantic Records. Director/Editor/Animator/Compositor.
- "Sinner to Sunrise" - (2003) - Artist: After 909. Camera operator.
- Documentary Film
- "Leave It on the Track" (2011) - Lead camera, editing consultant, executive producer.
- "Our Beginning" (2004) - Director/editor.
- "Marilyn Horne Foundation: Master Classes" - Videographer, sound recordist (2001).
- "Souzay: A Life in Art" (1999) - Sound recordist, editing consultant (uncredited).
- "Prisoner/Victim Mediation Sessions", for the Texas Department of Corrections (1996-97) - Camera operator.
- Xyzzy Award winner for interactive fiction, including Best Game of 2000, Best NPCs, Best Individual PC, Best Puzzles, and Best Use of Medium.
- "4 Short Films by Rob Wheeler" included in "25 Years in 25 Hours: Highlights of Austin Access Cable" compilation, of the best of PACT programming, 1994-1996.
- "Mapping the Tale: Scene Descriptions in IF" for IF-Theory.
- "Make IF Fast!" On the use of mock transcripts to speed IF design and authoring, for Brasslantern.org (formerly interactfiction.about.com), March 2001.
- "It's all in the family for The Krone Experiment", for Indie Slate magazine, Jan 2001.
- Reviews of IF-Competition games, for SPAG e-zine, issue #35, Dec 2003; #36, Mar 2004.
- Film criticism and general movie reviews, personal website and blog, 1995-present.
- B.A. in Communication (emphasis on Film Aesthetics), Stanford University, 1988-1992.
- Graduate study in Film Production (emphasis on Film Sound and Editing), University of Southern California, 1992-1994.
Groups and Affiliations
- IDGA - Writers SIG (associate)
- Stanford Alumni Association
- Stanford Alumni in Hollywood
- Austin Film Society (Filmmaker membership)
Technical Skills and Software
- 9+ years professional experience with Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Commotion DV, and DVD Studio Pro.
- Audio engineering and A/V equipment set-up: cameras, editing decks, patch bays, sound mixers, microphones, instruments, monitors, computers, cables, etc.
- Typesetting and desktop publishing, book and package design.
- DVD design and authoring.
- HTML & CSS authoring, Perl CGI programming, website design.
- Flash animation and ActionScript.
- C, Inform 6, TADS, Java, Perl, Carbon API programming.
- Word processing and data entry (94wpm).
- Windows, Mac OS X, Unix.
Additional Work Experience
- Web Programming Guru, Hush Communications (HushMail.com), 1999-2000.
- Website Designer, Venable Industries (venableind.com), 1997-1999.
- Crossword puzzles, music composition and recording, videogames, learning French.
References Available upon request.