The diagram shows cubes in rows of six, their top faces
numbered 1-36, their side faces opened like flaps of a box, and their bottom
faces obscured. Each cube has a letter on each face; these six letters can
be arranged to form a Cube Word. Overlapping side faces share a letter.
Squares at the sides of the diagram are already filled appropriately. The
letters in the 36 numbered faces will spell out a quotation that asks a
question. Letters on the 36 unseen bottom faces, taken in order, spell out
the quotation's source (and the answer to the question?). A few letters
have been provided to get you started. Answers include two proper nouns.
The inspiration and the instructions for this puzzle are taken from
Emily Cox & Henry Ravthon's puzzler in the Atlantic Monthly,
who in turn credit The Listener for the idea.
- Strong start to begin with, unprocessed New York.
- The mobster's gun made the front fall off the playhouse!
- Piper plays do re mi, Zarf addled.
- Sounding like intended, or someone with an apprentice.
- "After Earth's prefix, we got our direction mixed
up," says Star Trek crewman.
- Gary is enthusiastic about cemetary plots.
- Holy man wonders why, but it's just his state of mind.
- I had to do time with Sen. Kennedy's polka, and I finished.
- Don't remember Sumter, for example?
- I suffered a small spasm after our hero lost his head
-- it was arousing.
- Married again, Chuck was first and manned the boat.
- Where sopranos perform for ages, half the coop is flown.
- Casey's at it, let it be war!
- Band aid knows the street, that is.
- Part of ABC was taken up by Haley's miniseries, thanks
to its mechanical army.
- Kimberly, before meeting Lennon's widow, favored Japanese
- Like Mr. Ed, it's mostly equal to a topless pine.
- Tennessee is a good place for aces.
- She claimed she ate, swallowing her messy bib, but she
- In the middle of day, hick isn't petite.
- Shade of black set for the well-traveled elite.
- Start again on your vita, I say.
- It sounds like the Monkees' Peter needs a new twist.
- Masked robber took a stand, missing the street, inside
a zero or one.
- It duplicates the company wharf.
- Pirate saying "bug" is complete and utter folly.
- Pixie likes the alternative to 7-Up.
- I put a roast in the cooker; I really tried!
- Screwy bee with energy had to be made over from scratch.
- "A little deer, Ed," she said obsequiously.
- Percy's not heavy, that's the trouble.
- Sounds like tirades, after a time, induce hypnotic state.
- Backwards medical drama put everything first, this is
what we heard about it.
- Susie clearly hides French timespan.
- Playful CEO has toy of roadrunner foe.
- It's almost like nary a place for surgery, first of all,
has people this stubborn and cranky.